Thursday, November 11, 2010

some thursday afternoon book talk...

I would first like to extend my deepest gratitude to Daylight Savings Time for giving us back the hour that was stolen in March. I've missed that hour ever since you ripped it away from me that cold spring night. I'd prefer you would have returned it promptly the next day (like a RedBox movie you can't afford to pay for), but you took your sweet time. Better late than never I guess!

I have been DEVOURING books lately. I found a Used Bookery in town and completed my David Sedaris collection last week. I finished "Me Talk Pretty One Day" yesterday morning and started "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" last night. Call me mainstream for liking David Sedaris, but I say the man has talent. Reading his novels aren't like reading at all--rather having a slumber party with your best gay guy friend who wants to tell you the funny stories about his dysfunctional family and ill-remembered childhood. I can tell you one thing though--it's not helping me write fiction; actually all I have wanted to write for the past three days is non-fiction. Once I digest this stuff, I'll go back to reading fiction: my next victim...

I must say, I'm a little nervous about this one (knowing the book's reputation), but I'm excited too. I wrote a story in an intermediate fiction class that had to do with pedophilia and I remember when workshopping that piece in class, all anyone could offer was: "Have you read Lolita?" Apparently everyone else in the free world has experienced this novel and as always, I'm the literary late bloomer... But again, better late than never!

Kind of a boring post today - eh? Yeah I've been kind of a boring person lately.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read "When you are engulfed in flames" by Sedaris? That book was amazing. One of those "When I read it in public people thought I was crazy because I was laughing so hard" types of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but it's actually sitting on my bookshelf! With your encouragement, I now have to bump it up to next in line (sorry, Nobokov). In the last week, I have gotten many crazy stares when bursting out in laughter with a David Sedaris book in my hand. It's wierd, though, because people look twice. It's like they can't believe that a paperback book can provide such exhilirating entertainment!

    ReplyDelete